Tuesday 29 January 2013

The Scientific Stuff.......by Heather

Katy and I have when faced with an obstacle will both look at said obstacle and see it in the same way, we will chat, muse and concur - but then she will meander to the left and I to the right. We can see each other, and we can compare our journeys, but they are different journeys. And that is the beauty and value of real friends.

Here on our blog we wanted to share our journey through the pitted pathway that is the menopause and our personal battle with the bulge; but as with all things we differ in approach. Katy, the 'yank' half of the partnership is concerned with making healthy choices, nutritionally and psychologically - she has a holistic approach to most issues.

I do too - but the 'lobster back' half here has a distinct inclination toward critical examination, and the scientific method! I like facts and figures - its the accountant in me! And there is a lot of science to be had on the subject of food and weight.

So whilst I leave Katy to peruse the farmers markets for fresh produce - I have been looking at some of the science behind what I am trying to achieve.

Ok, I've lost a bit of weight, not a vast amount -and not - after over a month of keeping tabs on my eating, enough to be exactly proud of.

I do, feel better, less tired, less bloated, less desperate for sugar - and slightly lighter around the middle. Which is all positive.

What bothers me is that in a)cutting out sugar (thereby cutting out the obvious culprits of sweets, cakes, biscuits) and reducing my simple carb consumption - I am not seeing the weight loss I would normally, and when I say normally, I'm talking from past experience , expect of making these changes.

As I have gone along these past weeks - I am seeing myself cut out almost all added sugar (to begin with I allowed myself some dark chocolate or a teaspoon of maple syrup with my natural yogurt) - that has steadily declined.

However, my simple reduction of carbs has been a bit more 'woolly'. I've given up bread. I have cut out carbs in my lunch, and  I have moved to wholegrain alternatives for all other complex carb options such as rice.

Evenso currently, despite all of this  I'm classified as overweight - and I do not seem to be losing weight  - a bit yes, but not enough I would venture.

I understand the science - carbs convert to sugar and sugar unless used as energy will be stored as fat.

Clearly, I don't move about a whole lot - not in a strenuous carb busting way - and so even small amounts of carbs are causing an excess. And if there isn't a natural deficit then i ain't going to burn the fat off.

Right now, I doubt my ability to reduce (happily and comfortably) my carbs down further - yesterday I reckoned that I had had somewhere in the region of 130g of carbs - none of them through excess sugar or simple carbs.

I also want to maintain my fibre intake to avoid problems with constipation.

I know from previous attempts at weight loss that I have to stick to no more than 1300 calories per day to lose weight and even then its hard going - certainly I find it easier to stick to the 1300 band when carbs are reduced - but it is a terribly boring existance.

My target is to live a healthier existence - but before I settle for that - I have to move some excess weight and reduce my hip/waist ratio - which presently is too high.

What I don't know right now is just how resistant my menopausal/thyrotoxic body is going to be to attempts to make it lose weight - and all I can do until I come across some article somewhere that deals with this issue - is stick to it.




No comments: