Friday 25 January 2013

Peanut Butter....by Heather


Time to introduce my 'interesting food/recipe' slot I've decided.
This is a lovely product, Meridian do a number of nut butters - as you can see this one is crunchy, they do a smooth too - without sugar or salt. Nice.

But what to do with it - apart from just eat it off the spoon?
I've always liked peanut butter (all the nut butters actually) - but apart from spreading it on bread or crackers, I've never known what to meaningfully do with it. Until now that is!

Enter Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, one of my foody heroes is our Hugh, I have his cookbook on 'VEG' -  a cookbook that has been massively overlooked for the universally popular Hairy Bikers or Lorraine Pascal with the family Kilburn - love them both as I do - I have been revisiting Hugh's simple ideas in the River Cottage staple, and he has come good for me of late.

I've been keen to experiment since my diet overhaul and I was intrigued to find a recipe that would utilise my Meridian peanut butter marvellously. I have to admit, I was unsure how it would turn out and more importantly, how it would be received by the rest of the family.

Hugh's Sweet Potato and Peanut Gratin

This is gorgeous! Seriously lovely. It has good carbs and fibre in the sweet potato (another food I struggle to know what to do with) - and who would have thought that peanut butter and sweet potato could taste that good together?

And the family? The family with the food adventurousness of a slug - well they thought it fab too.
Here's a link to the recipe  Hugh says you can leave out the peanut butter - but don't, you'll regret it.

It is 'sweet' however - so don't worry about teaming it up with something quite strong or even bitter - like spinach or rocket.

Enjoy!


No comments: