Tuesday 1 January 2013

Life style diet...by Heather

Last year I made an abortive attempt to lose weight, reducing my calorific intake weekly, finally settling on 1300 per day, which appeared to be the most I could eat to lose anything.  I also became a slave to the scales - becoming increasingly desperate to see some movement downwards.

It all ended badly. I put back the weight that I had managed to lose, plus some -  and I became frustrated and angry with myself each time I got on the scales. Until I just said, 'sod it'.

What is worse about this scenario is that it flies in the face of everything I know and everything I expect of myself.

This time around is the final time around. Because the goal is different - and there has to be a goal to make this effective.

This time, I really am not interested in the scales. I am sure that for empirical comparison and for the sake of the readership here - I will need to go on the scales intermittently, but that's it.

This time too, whilst I can't pretend that I'm not looking to see some weight loss - I am more focused on improving my health - I am scared that on my present course, I am gearing myself up for more problems health wise - its hard enough being ill, but to know it might have been avoidable would be all the more galling.

So there is no time limit to this - this is my life. Nor do I have a definitive known plan that is miraculously going to 'work' - the key is I do have a plan. A plan that I will stick to, a plan that is progressive - but one I'm prepared to tweek, if necessary.

I know that Katy and I want the same outcome - but I am pretty certain we are both going to take different paths to arrive there.

I really can't see myself living forever with a calorie counter in my hand and a set of scales under my foot - I really am looking for something that is more intuitive - and simple. I'm a simple kind a gal!

Simple and intuitive however doesn't  mean easy - in fact, I know what my initial plan entails, and I know that it is anything but easy. Corny though this sounds - the things worth having often take some effort -and there is some real effort involved here -  and I'll talk about it next time.




No comments: