Tuesday 22 January 2013

Heather's Plan Part 3.........by Heather

Ok

Part one - give up the sugar - check
Part two - reduce the carbs - check

Part three - move.

The biggest defeats for me and exercise are - a tendency to choose something to do that I don't really like, but picking it because its supposed to do me good; not maintaining doing those things I do like to do; trying to implement a plan I don't stand a hope in hell of keeping to and then giving up because I've failed.

Truth be told, I don't enjoy exercising. I don't like sweating, I don't like the pain (just the actual sensation of forcing myself to move), I don't have the inner mettle to force myself through the pain barrier and don't get anything out of pitting myself against a target - I am also right now, the weakest I have ever been in my life.

Again, the thyroid dysfunction has been to blame for robbing me of what little muscle tone I did have. As my thyroid condition worsened, I was unable to walk upstairs without holding on to the bannister rail for support; once in a squat (to pick something up from under the tv say) I couldn't actually then lever myself back up again.

Having a small holding, I'm used to lugging bales of hay around and cleaning out after livestock - at the height of my illness in 2011 I couldn't even get the horse food from the trailer in to the back of the car - the effort nearly made me pass out.

Despite the improvement to my overall health, the meds haven't miraculously improved my wasted muscle tone. The short lived efforts I have made to improve my lot have been half- hearted, because exercise has become really uncomfortable - for uncomfortable, read difficult.

I know the solution - I just don't like it. But now is the time.

In an effort however to embrace what I have learned about myself over the years, I'm not suddenly going to pretend that I am off to train for a marathon - no siree.

I have conflicting views about exercise - that what I know I should do and that what I know I am likely to do.

I know I ought to be doing some sort of weight resistance training for muscle strength and some cardio.
I don't like the sound of either.

I am working on the principle that anything I do is better than the nothing I have been doing to start with and if I can manage to make it habitual; I stand a chance of moving up a gear as the weather improves.

So - first off - daily, will be yoga. I have been doing yoga since before Christmas and it has made an amazing difference. I am getting a little stronger. I can hold poses more than a couple of seconds without my legs and arms shaking like jellies! And I am getting much better flex in my hips and shoulders.

Second - like Katy, I have secret fantasies about hula hooping like Salome - right now that's more fantastical than I'd like. This is something she and I fancy doing and we're hoping we aren't mistaken in thinking it will help tone our middles - but we shall see. That too has to be a daily occurrence.

Finally I aim to resurrect the 'Wii Shape' I bought a couple of years back. It helped me then to start a very laudable exercise campaign that was only derailed by ill health - so I don't see why, it shouldn't help me now.

I have a fight on my hands for the telly - but I am finding 3-4 times a week when the rest of the family seem to be out and about on a regular basis - which gives me a chance to reclaim the remote control and work out in private.

The other thought is that over the next couple of months, the weather and the dark nights prevent me doing anything more ambitious - but if I stick with the Wii, I stand more chance of evolving in to something more adventurous by the time that light nights arrive.

So this begins part three....


No comments: