Saturday 26 January 2013

Breakfast Alternatives.......by Heather

I really feel that I and the rest of my family have come an awful long way in a short time. Today, included in my online shopping order, was a box of Thornton's chocolates, because there had been a mistake with my last order  it was sent as a 'sorry' gesture. A nice one - but as I laid the lovely box on the dining table, we all looked at it warily, all except the 9 year old that is; who promptly ripped the box to get in. But the rest of us knew it was a box of trouble - because despite making all the right changes - here unplanned was something that embodied everything that is wrong with our old diet - and we all knew how much we liked it - chocolate, sugar, hydrogenated this and that, trans fats, E numbers and preservatives - a veritable smorgasbord of bad - gloriously yummy bad!



We have all had a couple of said choccies (actually the 9 year old has had more than a couple!) But in seeing it, and seeing our collective responses to it; I feel pleased with us. And I wanted to share how some reasonable and easy manipulations have made a huge difference to our diet overall.

Breakfast:  (Me)

I am a creature of terrible habit, and breakfast for me has always meant cereal. I'd actually happily eat cereal for dinner. Some time ago, when I was first diagnosed Coeliac, I had to undergo something of a mourning process for my best loved meal of the day. Most cereals are a Coeliac nightmare - but more recently, having checked out box label after box label I realised  it wasn't just the gluten that was cause for concern - but the sugar content of these things is mind blowing.

There is some options though, even for us silly-yaks!

I realise that this is carbohydrate, but it is natural, albeit glutenless, and is a good source of fibre and so isn't on my carb hit list - in winter I make hot porridge (I add a teaspoon of flax seeds post cooking); in summer I soak the oats in the milk overnight in the fridge and then zuzz it the following morning to make a cold oaty shake. I now nolonger add any sweetner - I used to add honey or maple syrup. But that has gone, and after some 5 weeks without, I can say I am happy with it now.

Breakfast: (rest of the family)

This was a biggy. My husband never used to eat breakfast, strong coffee and gone - but since his training for the marathon some 18months ago, and a massive overhaul of his diet generally, he continues to exercise well and breakfast is now muesli. I would like to introduce him to a homemade muesli - but at present, he eats  the recommended 40g of Alpen - and he likes it. Even the Alpen light has some added sugar - so to make our own muesli would be a better option, but for now I think that this is a reasonable mid way step.

The kids all like different things! The older two are somewhat easier - I buy them a box and tell them that's it. They both like Bran Flakes - again looking at the labels, its obviously not sugar free or as healthy as I'd like - but in fairness they now no longer add sugar/honey to it - so again that is a step forward.

The youngest was always going to be my biggest issue - and how!

Behold! His breakfast cereal of choice.
How do you move on from this?

Well first off, I wasn't alone in thinking that we had to tackle his diet, my husband agreed whole heartedly - and starting with this.

We decided that it would be a good idea to give him a choice, mix it up a bit - so he has a choice of 3 things for breakfast now - firstly, a slice of wholemeal toast with a little honey and a glass of milk. Secondly a bowl of low sugar cornflakes with no sugar/honey added, Thirdly, a bowl of greek natural yogurt with a little honey. (as a rule of thumb we used one teaspoon honey or maple syrup, he likes either, to one tablespoon yogurt).

This has worked. Surprisingly,the yogurt has been the preference, with the cornflakes being the least favourite. Having the choice helped make the transition.

For me, losing the sugar completely at breakfast and in seeing sugar consumption go down considerably with the rest of the family, has been a complete triumph. All teas and coffees are now sugar free for everyone and we have ditched all other drinks - that's fruit juices, isotonic sports drinks, squashes and cordials, malted and flavoured drinks etc. Acceptable drinks apart from tea and coffee include herbal and green teas, water or milk.

Sugar seemed for us to be an integral part of the breakfast experience; sugared breakfast cereal with sugar or honey added on top, sugar in drinks - or when time allowed, we would have toast (white of course), or muffins, or crumpets, or croissant ( christ almighty! all of em together) - all with jam, marmalade or wait for it....chocolate spread.

Last year I made 24 x 12oz jars of strawberry and raspberry jam - it was beautiful, and we loved every bit of it - but for every kilo of fruit was a kilo of sugar and it makes my eyes water to remember how quickly it was all demolished! I really enjoy jam making - but if I do it again this summer (and the jury is out on that) - this is going to have to be something that lasts us considerably longer - because it will be a rare treat indeed! Last year I don't think my produce lasted beyond 4 months!

Interestingly, I would consider myself a bad starter in the morning, dragging myself out of bed, to stand miserably in front of the kettle waiting for it to boil, I would often munch on curiously cinnamon squares, or biscuits, or chocolate if it was there - all before I had even taken my first swig of much needed caffeine - and all well before breakfast. However, of late, I have noticed I am not sluggish in the morning any more - I don't crave sugar as I wake up - I have a tea or herbal tea - and am much brigher and bushier tailed - I have it seems, escaped that cloying need for the morning sugar rush.

Result!

No comments: