Friday 28 June 2013

Here we go again...... by Heather

This week I broke our old scales. - I dropped them, and the guts fell out. I was doing them a kindness by putting them in the bin.

I hedged a bit, but eventually gave in and bought a new set, which will arrive tomorrow. These however all but deliver your breakfast - so as of tomorrow, I'll know exactly how fat I am!

And I still am.

According to my BMI, not the best measure by all accounts, but it is touted about readily enough - I am officially classified as 'overweight'.

4 weeks of 5:2 fast dieting, and whilst I feel a massive amount better in myself, for whatever the reason on this diet, and I do - I'm not any noticeably thinner - either in clothes or on those old trusty scales.

Having over hauled the figures earlier in the week, and decided that I needed to be careful on those pesky non fast days - I realised that I had inexorably fallen back to calorie counting. AND I DON'T WANT TO COUNT CALS!

I found I was debating with myself on whether 3.500 kcals really did equate to 1lb of body fat and whether I needed to factor that in to my overall approach to the 5:2 diet - when I suddenly pulled myself up short. Heather! For God's sake, pack it in already!!!!

In reviewing my 5:2 performance to date, and looking at what people were saying on several forums dedicated to the thing - I realised that whilst some  folk enjoyed success, there were others, like me, for whom it seemed less automatic and straight forward.

I intend to keep to my fasting days - because as I've said before, I am finding them beneficial - my stomach feels rested and I feel comfortable in myself  for doing it - even if it doesn't deliver anything more than that - it really does feel worthwhile.

Whilst researching the claims of the fast diet,  I came across Zoe Harcombe - a nutritionist, who has her own dieting approach. Something akin to Atkins come food combining.

Well, I'm pretty au fait with food combining of old - having been an undiagnosed coeliac for years and years - you sadly find yourself having trialed many weird and wonderful dietary fads, for some relief, before the actual diagnosis is made - and during those dark gluten ravaged days, I steadfastly tried to food combine. Clearly it didn't help the undetected gluten issues, but there were benefits.

Zoe's approach has you not combining any fats with carbs in the same meal.

On Googling the meal relationship between eating fats with carbs, I came to realise this is something that isn't unique to Zoe. It wasn't however something I had ever come across.

Just because I love an experiment and because I feel ok in myself and don't mind the challenge - I have decided on a something of a hybrid -

a) continue to fast for days per week
b) go back to a real reduction in carbs
c) stick to reducing my sugar content as much as possible
d) look at how those meals that are carb loaded react with fats and look at changing that

So once again - the search is one.


No comments: